Adding landscaping material around the base of your house offers many benefits. In addition to enhancing the aesthetic appeal of your property, it also helps to improve the soil, and acts as a weed barrier; those are a few of the advantages. Wood mulch and rock are two of the most popular landscaping materials, and both offer advantages and disadvantages. Some homeowners find the natural look that wood mulch offers more appealing, while others are more drawn to the definition and longevity that rocks provide. When it comes down to it, trying to decide between rocks vs mulch around your house really depends on your own personal preference. Let’s take a look at the pros and cons of both options.
Is It Better to Put Mulch or Rocks Around a House?
Not sure which one to use, mulch or rocks around your house? If you’re debating between the two, considering the pros and cons of each material will help you decide which option will work best for you and your home.
Pros and Cons of Using Rocks Around the Base of Your House
Landscaping rock comes in a myriad of colors, shapes, sizes, and materials. From small white pebbles to bulky red lava rock, there’s no shortage of options to choose from. No matter the type of landscaping rock you choose, there are a few pros and cons to consider. Take a look:
- Minimal maintenance: Rock requires very minimal maintenance. Unlike mulch, rock doesn’t decay and will last for years.
- Fewer pests: Because mulch is made of wood, it tends to attract pets, some of which can wreak havoc on your house; termites, for example. Conversely, with rocks, there’s no need to worry about pests, because it doesn’t attract bugs or insects.
- Erosion prevention: If you’re concerned about erosion, river rock is a great choice, as it prevents soil from moving. In fact, it can stay in place on even steep slopes and hills with no problem.
- Cost-effective: Because of its longevity, there’s no upkeep, which means rocks are more cost-effective than mulch.
- Won’t enhance soil: Rock won’t improve the health of your soil and thus, it won’t improve the health of your plants.
- Weeds and debris: Weeds, leaves, seeds, and other debris can easily grow or settle in the gaps between landscaping rocks.
- Tedious: Rock is heavy, so installing or removing it can be a tedious task.
Pros and Cons of Using Mulch Around the Base of Your House
Mulch is an organic material, meaning it is biodegradable and can improve the health of your soil – and your plants. There are several styles, colors, sizes, and materials available, too, from pine to cedar. Despite the benefits, there are some downsides, too. Let’s look closer.
- Moisture retention: Mulch does a great job of retaining moisture in the soil and minimizes surface evaporation, which means less time spent watering your flower beds.
- Enhanced soil health: As the organic mulch decomposes, it adds nutrients to the soil, and those nutrients will feed your plants.
- Fewer weeds: Mulch is more flexible, so to speak, so it will cover more of the soil and reduce/control weed growth.
- Insulator: Mulch has insulating qualities, so it will keep your plants cool in the summer and warm in the winter, ensuring they remain healthy all year long.
- Easy to work with: Because it’s a lot lighter than rock, mulch is a lot easier to work with.
- Lots of upkeep: While mulch’s decay is good for soil and plants, it does need to be replaced on a constant basis – meaning it requires a lot of maintenance.
- Not budget-friendly: The constant upkeep that mulch requires can really hurt your pocketbook over the long run.
- Attracts pests: Mulch is organic, so it attracts pests, such as termites and carpenter ants, and those pests can make their way into your house.
Which Should You Choose? Mulch or Rock?
Whether you choose to landscape with mulch or rock really depends on your personal preference and needs. When trying to decide between mulch or rocks, consider the pros and cons highlighted above to make the best decision for the landscaping around your home.
Arbor Hills Landscaping Company Omaha | Best Landscaping Company in Omaha, NE
Arbor Hills Trees & Landscaping Services can provide you with everything from detailed maintenance programs to unique plant production, and other services in between. That means we build water features, walls, patios, irrigation, walkways, outdoor kitchens, lighting, and anything else you can help us dream up. Our professionally trained staff can build the landscape of your dreams and keep you from breaking any Home Landscaping Rules.
Click on a heading bar below for more information:
Fire Pit Designs Landscaping Services
Imagine the ambiance created in your backyard landscape by a custom fire pit. In fact, nothing is more inviting on a cool spring night or for fall and winter gatherings of family and friends. A fire pit may be used to provide warmth during outdoor entertaining, but also as a heat source for outdoor cooking or simply roasting marshmallows. Our trained custom fire pit installers are experts in turning your vision into reality. More…
Outdoor Living Landscaping Services
Unlimited Outdoor Kitchen offers a professional outdoor kitchen, outdoor fireplace, and outdoor living room design, building, and installation services with FREE ESTIMATES. More…
Retaining Walls Landscaping Services
Enhance the beauty of your landscape with a retaining wall that is customized to coordinate with your home’s exterior. At Arbor Hills, our retaining wall designer will create a functional retaining wall that is aesthetically pleasing for your personal taste, and within your target budget. With the many materials available today, the retaining wall project you’ve been considering is just a phone call away! More…
Stamped and Colored Concrete
It is time to upgrade or replace some of the hardscape features surrounding your home? Stamped and colored concrete is a beautiful and affordable material. It enhances the color and texture featured on your home’s exterior. Stamped concrete in textures from modern to rustic is available to coordinate with your home’s existing design features. Colored concrete can be blended to match or enhance your home’s exterior color scheme. A designer from Arbor Hills will consider all these existing features at your site visit and when designing your project. More…
Patio Pavers Landscaping Services
Concrete pavers are a great way to improve your landscape and garden. In fact, they are super strong and lend themselves to many hardscaping projects. They rarely crack but if they do, each piece is easily replaceable. More…
Landscape Lighting Designs
Outdoor lighting can be nearly as important to the overall look and feel of your home as the landscaping itself. So you shouldn’t short-change yourself by skimping on quality lighting products. We are a full-service landscape and waterscape company that can solve all of your residential and commercial lighting needs anywhere in Omaha and the surrounding areas. More…
Water Feature Landscaping Designs
Imagine the sight and sound of bubbling water as you relax in your outdoor sanctuary. A water feature can give just the right ambiance to your outdoor retreat. Or, if you are looking for a water feature with traffic-slowing curb appeal, a designer from Arbor Hills will help you choose the water feature that best enhances your home. More…
Sod Installation Services
Whether you have just built your home, cleared agricultural land for your personal use or simply want to improve the look of your existing yard, having sod installed is a fast way to create the lush, green carpet of grass you want. It offers instant satisfaction rather than the weeks of waiting and anticipating whether or not your grass seed is going to grow. Plus, using sod offers a host of other benefits. More…
Mulch & Rock Landscaping Services
The concept, to design, to delivery and installation, we have more than 20 years of experience in the landscaping industry in Omaha and surrounding areas. Our services include delivery, full installation, and clean-up of mulch and rock around your beds, trees, and more. More…
Plants & Shrubs Landscaping
Plants and shrubs are the backbone of your landscape, therefore they should be the first things you plant. Proper selection will enhance a home’s appearance and increase property value while reflecting the homeowner’s style and personality. More…
Let our trained nursery professionals assist you in selecting the perfect tree or shrub to complete your landscape. We carry a selection that is unmatched in Omaha and the surrounding areas and are willing and eager to explain our favorites. Improved varieties are introduced each year and we always strive to carry the best and newest – varieties more resistant to disease, shade trees better able to withstand storm damage and ornamentals in unique colors, shapes, and sizes you have to see to believe. More…